Course Content and Outcome Guide for ED 114
- Course Number:
- ED 114
- Course Title:
- Library Reference Services
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces reference services and information resources. Focuses on the evaluation of reference resources in various formats and exploration of searching tools and how they work. Emphasizes designing efficient search strategies, conducting effective reference interviews, and providing quality reference service. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
The content of this course will be delivered through lecture, video, class discussion, and computer-based search experience. Other techniques will be used depending upon the size of the class, student background and instructional materials available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:,
- Apply proficiency in searching different reference sources to respond effectively and efficiently to various reference questions. ,
- Evaluate sources according to authority, audience, and utility. ,
- Utilize basic proficiency in conducting reference interviews. ,
- Articulate different models of reference service and how library staff provide those services. ,
Outcome Assessment Strategies
At the beginning of the course, the instructor will detail the methods used to evaluate student progress and criteria for assigning a course grade. Methods may include one or more of the following: attendance, class participation, examinations, homework assignments, reports, and presentations.