Course Content and Outcome Guide for ED 113
- Course Number:
- ED 113
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Library and Information Services
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the philosophical foundations of libraries and information services. Provides an overview of the history of libraries, different types of libraries, the roles of library staff, and the evolving purpose, function, and services of libraries within a community. Explores library ethics, values, advocacy, and governance.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, student should be able to:
- Explain the role of technology within libraries.
- Demonstrate ability to use library equipment and computer applications, software, and hardware in order to troubleshoot basic technical problems.
- Analyze different vendors for library catalogs and integrated library systems.
- Promote and use assistive technologies in libraries.
- Describe how different social media tools may be used to collaborate on, promote, and provide library services.
- Create a basic website that includes images and video.
Course Activities and Design
- Compare and contrast different vendors for library catalogs and integrated library systems.
- Articulate the different components of integrated library systems.
- Design and develop a basic library website that includes images and video.
- Interactive class discussions.
- Individual and group activities, projects, and presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Demonstrate knowledge of various aspects of library technologies, such as library catalogs, integrated library systems, computer hardware and software through class discussions, activities, projects, and presentations.
- Actively participate in class discussions.
- Actively collaborate with others to complete group activities, projects, and presentations.
- Complete class activities, projects, and presentations on time.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Role of technology in libraries.
- Types of technologies used within a library.
- Evaluation, use, and implementation of library technologies.
- Ability to troubleshoot basic library technology issues.