Course Content and Outcome Guide for ED 112
- Course Number:
- ED 112
- Course Title:
- Intro to Children's Literature
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces children's literature, authors and illustrators. Covers current and classic works, book awards, artistic and literary elements, introduction to genres, basic book discussion techniques, and audio-visual and electronic formats. Prerequisite: WR 115. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This course provides opportunities for students to explore and share children's books including picture books, folktales, concept books,
poetry, chapter books and novels. Emphasis will be placed on books, authors, and illustrators that have won major awards such as
the Newbery Medal, the Caldecott Award, Coretta Scott King and Young Reader's Choice Awards. Students will gain experience
and knowledge in book discussion/sharing techniques.
Course Activities and Design
The content of this course will be delivered through lecture, video, and class discussion/sharing. Other techniques will be used
depending upon the size of the class, student background and instructional materials available.
Outcome Assessment StrategiesAt the beginning of the course, the instructor will detail the methods used to evaluate student progress and criteria for assigning a course grade. Methods may include one or more of the following: attendance, class participation, examinations, book reviews, reading lists, written or oral presentations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Describe the criteria of the Newbery Award.
- Describe the criteria of the Young Readers' Choice Award
- Describe the criteria for the Coretta Scott King and the Bela Bupre Awards.
- List and describe the use of basic artistic elements in picture book design.
- List the literary elements of fiction. Identify the elements in books read for this course.
- Read and report on assigned reading of children's literature.
- Organize and manage a book discussion.
- Define and recognize the following genres: picture book, folktales, poetry, fantasy, realistic fiction, historical fiction.