Course Content and Outcome Guide for ED 111 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- ED 111
- Course Title:
- Library Collection Development
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces to the selection and evaluation of library materials with a focus on library standards, collection development policies, censorship, intellectual freedom, and copyright. Explores assessment of print and electronic resources, user needs, and selection tools. Prerequisites: ED 113 and CAS 133. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Selection of Library Materials will present materials that are used in library operation and in general usage. Students will learn to evaluate and use both print and non-print materials.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Discuss the ALA Bill of Rights and library standards with regard to collection development and consortia selection.
- Analyze collection development policies.
- Evaluate print and electronic materials, with the aid of various selection tools used in libraries.
- Articulate censorship and intellectual freedom policies as they relate to different libraries and computer usage.
- Articulate the basics of the copyright laws and how they apply to libraries.
Course Activities and Design
The materials in this course will be presented in a lecture/lab format. Various educational teaching techniques will be used to teach the class depending on the size of the class, student make-up and background, and instructional materials available.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
At the beginning of the course, the instructor will detail the methods used to evaluate student progress and criteria for assigning a course grade. The methods may include one or more of the following tools: attendance, examinations, homework assignments, laboratory assignments, class participations, and/or a final project.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Define and discuss current library standards
- Define and discuss the ALA bill of rights
- Define and discuss selection policies of several regional public and school libraries
- Identify and list the uses of various verification tools used in libraries
- Discuss censorship policies as they relate to different areas of the library
- Identify the basics of the copyright las and how it applies to various schools and libraries