Course Content and Outcome Guide for ECE 187
- Course Number:
- ECE 187
- Course Title:
- Cooking with Kids
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers creating and sharing cooking experiences with young children to maximize child participation and enhance developmental opportunities in language, literacy, math, science, cooperation and healthy eating habits. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge base of our degree-seeking students (who are required to take 6 10 credits of elective credit) while also providing an accessible, interesting, and relevant course to students who are seeking to meet their professional development requirements and/or who might have limited experience in the college setting.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
· Identify elements of quality cooking experiences for young children.
· Articulate the role of cooking in the acquisition of skills and concepts across all developmental domains.
· Design, implement and evaluate cooking experiences for children of varying ages (2 years to school age) and abilities.
· Identify solutions to common barriers and issues that arise when cooking with children.
· Describe the ways in which cooking with children can be a component of cultural validation and building relationships with families.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group activities.
- Complete written observations and assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Why cook with children?
- Design and implementation of quality cooking experiences.
- Facilitating learning and development across domains with cooking experiences.
- Use of cooking with children in the development of healthy eating habits and the prevention of childhood obesity.
- Involving families and communities in cooking projects with children.
- Addressing common barriers and issues that arise in cooking experiences.