Course Content and Outcome Guide for ECE 180
- Course Number:
- ECE 180
- Course Title:
- ECP English A
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionECP English A, the first term of a three-term sequence, introduces the academic English used in the fields of early childhood development and education. This course is intended for non-native speakers of English who are working toward an AAS degree in Early Education and Family Studies. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- To successfully complete ECE ___ (ECP English A), students will be able to:
- Write a clear, satisfactory* short-answer response to a given question (explanation of "satisfactory" below.
- Demonstrate ability to understand and use a core ECE vocabulary of approximately 180 words.
- Demonstrate ability to identify grammatical structures and use them appropriately in a variety of oral and written contexts.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will write and revise subject-specific short answers and observations throughout the term; pass a minimum of 8 vocabulary quizzes; demonstrate familiarity with grammatical constructions; pass a midterm and a final exam.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Grammar and Mechanics
- Rhetorical Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Object, subject, and possessive pronouns
- There is / There are construction
- The simple present and present progressive tenses
- Simple and compound sentences
- Application of formatting, punctuation, and capitalization rules
- Avoid plagiarism
- Distinguish between objective and subjective information
- Use an English-English dictionary