Course Content and Outcome Guide for ECE 179
- Course Number:
- ECE 179
- Course Title:
- The Power of Portfolios in Early Education
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers the development of portfolios for children in early care and education programs as a way to demonstrate children's skills. Addresses learning, development, culture, and creating meaningful portfolios with children and families. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge base of our degree-seeking students (who are required to take 6 10 credits of elective credit) while also providing an accessible, interesting, and relevant course to students who are seeking to meet their professional development requirements and/or who might have limited experience in the college setting.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
· Identify common components of child portfolios.
· Articulate various observation and organization plans to facilitate the collection of developmental information.
· Employ digital technology in organizing portfolio data and creating portfolio entries.
· Practice using portfolios to demonstrate development during parent conferences.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group activities.
- Complete written observations and assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Portfolio components.
- Collaborating with children and families in creating portfolios.
- Productive observation plans (assessment possibilities, observation schedules, focus on domains, etc.).
- Effective organization systems.
- Digital technology (digital photography, use of scanners, word processing and simple graphic design software use).
- Use of portfolios in parent conferences and EI/ECSE case conferences and in demonstrating achievement of standards.