Course Content and Outcome Guide for ECE 174
- Course Number:
- ECE 174
- Course Title:
- Head Start Past and Present
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers the history, current status, and future of Head Start (including migrant and tribal programs) at the local, regional, and national levels. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This course is designed to enhance the knowledge base of our degree-seeking students (who are required to take 6 10 credits of elective credit) while also providing an accessible, interesting, and relevant course to students who are seeking to meet their professional development requirements and/or who might have limited experience in the college setting.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Identify common components of Head Start programs.
- Articulate role of Head Start performance standards in Head Start programming, evaluation, and accountability.
- Review Head Start outcomes for children and families at the state and national level.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attend and actively participate in class and small group activities.
- Observe a Head Start program.
- Complete written observations and assignments
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
History of Head Start (including Migrant and Tribal Programs) and role in attempts to correct inequities in opportunity and education from the War on Poverty to the present.
- Head Start philosophy including comprehensive nature of programs, efforts to empower families, and create opportunities to escape poverty.
- Head Start components (including health and nutrition, parent involvement, and family services), program options and requirements
- Head Start Performance Standards (including ongoing child assessment).
- Effect of Head Start programming on children and families short- and long-term outcomes.
- Individualized instruction and addressing special needs in Head Start.
- Opportunities for employment and advancement in Head Start