Course Content and Outcome Guide for ECE 131C
- Course Number:
- ECE 131C
- Course Title:
- Practicum for Experienced Teachers 3
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionImproves and strengthens advanced intermediate level skills for working with children ages birth-5 in a group setting at work sites. Includes the use of developmentally and culturally appropriate methods to support guidance and conflict resolution; development, implementation, and evaluation of environments and curriculum; and facilitation of classroom management. Department permission required based on work experience and previous coursework. Prerequisites: ECE 131B. Corequisites: ECE 130C.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Use an understanding of childrens characteristics and needs from birth through age 5, in order to provide appropriate care and education.
- Respond to children using an understanding of diverse family and community characteristics.
- Use appropriate observation, documentation, and other assessment tools and approaches to support the development of children.
- Engage in continuous, collaborative learning to inform practice.
Course Activities and Design
Actively participate in seminar discussions and activities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Review collected materials for a professional portfolio documenting achievement of the NAEYC Standards for Initial Professional Preparation.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Integrating knowledge of child development and learning;
- Family and community relationships;
- Observation, documentation, and assessment;
- Developmentally effective approaches;
- The use of content to build meaningful curriculum;