Course Content and Outcome Guide for DST 117
- Course Number:
- DST 117
- Course Title:
- Caterpillar Machine Hydraulic Systems
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionThis course is designed to teach the system operations and the testing and adjusting procedures for the pilot operated hydraulic system, the load sensing, pressure compensated (LSPC) hydraulic system used in Caterpillar machines. DST 112 and DST 114. Prerequisites: Provide a dealer letter indicating secured internship at a participating Caterpillar Dealership. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
At the completion of this course, the students will be able to:
· Identify the components in the pilot operated hydraulic system, the LS/PC hydraulic system, the PPPC hydraulic system, and the hydrostatic drive system.
· State the systems operation of the pilot operated hydraulic system, the LS/PC hydraulic system, the PPPC hydraulic system, and the hydrostatic system.
· Trace the oil flow through the pilot operated hydraulic system, the LS/PC hydraulic system, the PPPC hydraulic system, and the hydrostatic system.
· Perform testing and adjusting procedures on implement hydraulic systems, steering hydraulic systems, and hydrostatic drive systems.
Course Activities and Design
·This is an outcome-based course utilizing a lecture/lab format. This course includes videos, assignments, demonstrations, lectures and hands on learning. Course will be taught using Caterpillar equipment and curriculum.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
· Multiple choice, true/false, fill in the blank, short answer and essay testing
· Hands-on practical testing
· Daily lab assignments as defined by Caterpillar Curriculum / weekly and term projects
· Work ethics
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
· Pilot Operated Hydraulic Systems
· Load Sensing, Pressure Compensated (LS/PC) Hydraulic Systems
· Proportional, Priority, Pressure Compensated (PPPC) Hydraulic Systems
· Hydrostatic Systems
· Practice Safety
· Learn and practice personal safety
· Learn and practice facility safety
· Learn and practice equipment safety