Course Content and Outcome Guide for DS 9112 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- DS 9112
- Course Title:
- Sm Mar Diesel Eng Maint & T/U
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionAnalyze and diagnose each supporting system of the small diesel engine to properly tune the engine for maximum performance. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome-based course utilizing a lecture/lab format and includes videos, demonstrations, lectures, and hands-on learning.
Course Activities and Design
• Troubleshoot a diesel fuel system and marine cooling system.
• Demonstrate how to troubleshoot an electrical circuit.
• Demonstrate how to troubleshoot a marine cooling system.
• Demonstrate safe work procedures.
• Learn the relationship between horsepower and propellers.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
• Written multiple choice, true/false and short answer tests.
• Hands on practical tests.
• Work ethics.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Knowledge of how and why Marine engines and electrical systems work.
• Learn, lubrication, mechanical and electrical systems as relates to marine Diesel engines.
• Learn history and theory of Marine diesel systems.
• Learn about Marine electrical systems and their proper repair.
• Learn about and demonstrate the proper alignment of propeller shaft to the engine.
Skills in Marine engine failure diagnosis.
• Learn to recognize failures and their causes.
• Learn to properly evaluate a failure and find the reason for the failure.
Practice personal safety.
• Learn and practice personal safety by wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
• Learn and practice shop cleanliness.
• Learn and practice tool maintenance and safety.