Course Content and Outcome Guide for DM 129
- Course Number:
- DM 129
- Course Title:
- Food Service & Personnel Mgmt
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers managing people in the food service setting. Includes performing, planning and implementing safe food production from purchasing to serving. Corequisite: DM 130. Prerequisites: MTH 20 and WR 90 or equivalent placment test scores.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Manage, schedule, recruit and evaluate kitchen staff.
- Perform all aspects of food service production in a cost effective manner from purchasing, receiving, storing, preparation and distribution to ensure nutritionally adequate meal service.
Course Activities and Design
- Mock performance review
- Mock interview
- Research and plan a food service menu
- Research and prepare a production schedule
- Write inspection report on hazard control
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written examination
- Written assignments
- Critical analysis of material
- Course activities and discussion
- Presentations and/or projects
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Analyze management responsibilities and interpret state and federal employment laws.
- Determine personnel needs including, recruitment, interview, performance standards scheduling and staff empowerment and developments.
- Prepare standardized recipes using proper forecasting, purchasing, storing, and cooking procedures.
- Implement continuous quality management.
- Maintain department budget by using cost effective procedures.