Course Content and Outcome Guide for DM 105
- Course Number:
- DM 105
- Course Title:
- Food Safety: ServSafe
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers foodborne illnesses in food industry. Includes identifying and analyzing the factors which cause foodborne illnesses and food safety and sanitation through proper purchasing, preparation, handling and storage. Includes the ServSafe exam.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Apply safe food handling principles from purchasing, preparation, handling and storage to prevent food borne illness.
- Continually educate staff on proper food handling procedures.
- Ensure safe food production by performing continuous quality improvement.
- Be prepared to earn the ServSafe certification.
Course Activities and Design
- Lecture and group discussion of concepts in ServSafe Essentials text.
- Study question assignment.
- Completion of ServSafe exam.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- ServSafe examination
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Unit 1 - The food safety challenge: providing safe food, the microworld, contamination and food allergens, the safe food handler.
- Unit 2 - The flow of food through the operation: purchasing, receiving, storage, preparation and service.
- Unit 3 - Food safety management systems, facilities, and pest management
- Unit 4 - Food safety regulations and employee training.