Course Content and Outcome Guide for DH 253
- Course Number:
- DH 253
- Course Title:
- Community Oral Health III
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDevelopment, implementation and evaluation of dental health projects in the community.
Addendum to Course Description
Completion of DH 252 with a grade of "C" or higher is necessary prior to enrolling in this course.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Oral presentation of results of student-run dental health project including implementation and evaluation phases.
- Complete a minimum number of service learning experiences within the community.
- Attendance at guest lecture sessions.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Service learning and final reflections
- Implementation and evaluation of student run project
- Current and local community health issues
- Legislative initiatives affecting dental hygiene practice
- The six roles of the dental hygienist
- The future of dental hygiene related to community needs.
- Implement the population-specific dental health education program developed the previous term
- Evaluate the success of the overall project using criteria assessment and evaluation techniques.
- Disseminate the results by writing a final report on the project which includes raw data, recommendations and summative evaluation.
- Complete assignments to community groups or facilities who request or show a need for oral health education services.
- Provide dental hygiene services to clients of a contracting community health facility on a rotation basis.