Course Content and Outcome Guide for DH 252 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- DH 252
- Course Title:
- Community Oral Health II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionStudents utilize public health program planning models to develop and participate with community oral health programs for various populations.
Addendum to Course Description
Prerequisite: Completion of DH 208 with a grade of C or better.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Recognize the various dental projects, clinics, research efforts and other facilities in the local area and provide treatment in a public health setting.
- Design and implement an oral health program for a community population.
- Explore communication styles with various populations, with an emphasis on cultural competence.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Evaluation of student rotations
- Written progress report on the program developed by the student for a community population including surveys, population profile, goals and objectives, communication log, and mentor evaluations
- Comprehensive final examination
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Local agencies providing dental services, education or research.
- Assessing dental needs and building rapport with a community population.
- Conduct and analyze a survey for student-run project.
- Dental health education and promotion in the community.
- Provide dental hygiene services in a public health setting.
- Identify a target population that demonstrates a need for oral health intervention.
- Conduct a minimal analysis of data produced by a survey of the target group.
- Design and implement a dental health program to address the health need.
- Select and create materials to teach dental health concepts.
- Effectively communicate with a liaison for the target population with whom the student will develop their dental health program (student run project.)
- Continue discussion, exploration of public health initiatives.
- Explore basic Spanish dental terminology.
- Discuss communication styles and health beliefs of various populations and relate them to the delivery of oral health.