Course Content and Outcome Guide for DH 236
- Course Number:
- DH 236
- Course Title:
- Ethics & Jurisprudence
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionStudies legal restrictions and ethical responsibilities associated with the practice of dental hygiene and dentistry.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students will demonstrate a knowledge of the legal and ethical values, restrictions and responsibilities associated with the practice of dental hygiene and dentistry in the state of Oregon. The students will achieve a passing score on the Oregon state Ethics and Jurisprudence examination necessary for licensure as a registered dental hygienist in the state of Oregon.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Weekly reading assignments
- One (1) research paper
- One (1) midterm examination
- One (1) final examination
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Ethics & Professionalism
- Professional traits
- Ethical theories
- Moral reasoning
Ethical Principles & Values
- Informed consent
- Ethical dilemma
Codes of Ethics
- Hippocratic Oath
Oregon Dental Practice Act
- Scope of practice
- Statutory law
Oregon Board of Dentistry
- Power & duties
- Continuing Education requirements for licensure
- Western Regional Examination Board (WREB)
- Unacceptable patient care
- Patient records
Skills & Competencies:
- Describe the role of the dental hygienist in health care and the relationship between the health care provider and the patient.
- Discuss basic ethical theory and relate it to personal and professional life.
- Describe and discuss the six (6) steps in the Ethical Decision-Making Model.
- Identify the categories of ethical dilemmas that a dental hygienist might encounter.
- Identify the responsibilities of the three (3) branches of state government in dealing with the state Dental Practice Act.
- Describe the general provisions of the Oregon Dental Practice Act.
- Explain the licensure provisions of the Dental Practice Act.
- Discuss the powers, duties and activities of the Oregon Board of Dentistry.
- Discuss the dental hygiene scope of practice allowed in the state of Oregon.
- Identify the consequences and penalties of practicing outside the legally defined scope of practice.