- Course Number:
- DH 204A
- Course Title:
- Dental Hygiene Practice IV
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionContinues clinical activities to include treating beginning periodontal disease and moderate deposit patients. Prerequisites: DH 103 and DH 106.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Provide assessment, periodontal diagnosis, care planning, implementation of treatment and treatment evaluation techniques for the patient with beginning
periodontal disease and slight/moderate deposits.
Course Activities and Design
Provide patient care for slight/beginning periodontal disease and/or slight/moderate deposits.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Create a dental hygiene treatment care plan appropriate for non-surgical slight/beginning periodontal cases.
Complete clinical requirements at 75% or greater accuracy.
Attend all clinic bay and documentation meetings and clinical sessions unless excused.
Using reflective learning techniques, maintain a weekly journal.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The slight/beginning periodontal patient
Assessment and care planning
Treatment options and sequencing
Non-surgical periodontal therapy
Evaluation and maintenance care
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
· Describe treatment sequencing for optimum patient care.
· Explain the medical emergency protocols for the PCC clinic.
· Recognize and assess the value of various new developments in dental hygiene care.
· Explain the factors and considerations that must go into treatment planning for the slight/moderate periodontal patient.
· Discuss the theory, operation, maintenance and precautions associated with use of ultrasonic/sonic instruments.
· Compare and contrast hand-instrumentation and sonic/ultrasonic scaling.
· Compare and contrast irrigation therapy products and systems.
· Discuss patient management principles and problems associated with the slight/beginning periodontal patient.
· Discuss possible reasons for modifying an established treatment plan.
· Provide safe, effective clinical care for slight/beginning periodontally involved patients at an introductory level.
· Demonstrate the ability to collect data for assessment, synthesize the data to form a dental hygiene diagnosis, plan, implement and evaluate
treatment for a variety of clinic patients at the developmental level.