- Course Number:
- DH 121
- Course Title:
- Oral Health Education and Promotion
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionFamiliarizes the student with selected teaching techniques having direct application to oral health education concepts.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Develop and present to a client an effective, personalized home care plan that is realistic and reflective of that individual
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. On a mockup chart, design a personalized, realistic Home Care Treatment Plan for a designated patient and present to class.
2. Participate in role playing activities
3. Successfully complete a midterm exam.
4. Demonstrate basic toothbrushing, flossing methods on a typodont.
5. Demonstrate use of auxiliary aids on typodont.
6. Successfully complete 3 internet continuing education assignments
7. Videotape a presentation of toothbrushing and flossing lessons to a classmate
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
The oral disease process, communication, diversity issues, health values, attitudes and beliefs, behavior modification.
1. Assess patient's individual needs, develop and deliver instruction and evaluate the effectiveness of an individually designed oral hygiene education plan
2. Describe a variety of behavior modification techniques specific to oral hygiene education.
3. Discuss general principles and models of health education and how they may be applied to the individual patient.
4. Demonstrate practical oral hygiene instruction.