Course Content and Outcome Guide for DH 109L
- Posted by:
- Cara Kao-Young
- Course Number:
- DH 109L
- Course Title:
- Dental Radiology I (Lab)
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
1. Understand, relate, and apply radiographic principles and techniques by exposing appropriate diagnostic intraoral radiographs that utilize radiation health and safety standards for the operator and patient.
2. Recognize and relate radiology theory and application in preparation for passing these tested portions on the Dental Hygiene National Board.
1. Recognize and relate thorough understanding of course topics through 3 tests given throughout the term and one final comprehensive exam (see class calendar for exam dates).
2. Complete the following on a dental manikin: 4 full mouth radiographic surveys, 6 bitewing radiographic surveys, 2 sets of third molar surveys, a timed team project, and a final practical lab exam. Students will receive more information on lab requirements during the first scheduled laboratory session. Two separate grades will be given for this course (one for lecture DH 109, and one for lab DH 109L).
Dental X-ray Machine Function and Operation
Intraoral Radiographic Exposure Technique
Dental X-ray Film and Film Processing
Intraoral Landmarks and Dental Materials Seen on Radiographs
The ALARA Concept
Patient Education and Communication
Operator and Patient Safety and Protection
Preventing Exposure and Darkroom Errors
Biological Effects of X-rays
Balancing Safety with Need for Diagnostic Radiographs
Legal Aspect of Radiography
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
1. Follow Radiation Health and Safety Standards and OSHA Guidelines while exposing
and processing diagnostic radiographs.
2. Assess patient radiographic needs; expose and process diagnostic intra-oral radiographs on manikin.
3. Mount, label and document radiograph exposures accurately
4. Self critique work and discuss improvement and corrections needed.
5. Use inquiry and listening communication skills
6. Utilize critical thinking, decision- making, and time management skills
7. Access professional and research resources.