Course Content and Outcome Guide for DA 135
- Posted by:
- Josette Beach
- Course Number:
- DA 135
- Course Title:
- Dental Materials III (Lab)
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionAdvanced laboratory activities designed to improve proficiency and efficiency in the handling and manipulation of dental materials. Students apply knowledge and skills in dental office internships.
Addendum to Course Description
Prerequisite: completion of DA 132 and 133 with a C or better or department permission.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Participate in a review of dental materials for certification exams.2. Application of skills will be evaluated through practicum evaluations, laboratory projects/quizzes. Attendance in on-campus labs and off-campus practicum assignments.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Concepts, themes and issues
Transfer of skills to the workplace
Use of acrylics in prosthetic dentistryUse of vital tooth bleaching
1. Demonstrate laboratory skills as needed in the workplace setting during the off-campus practicum.
2. Demonstrate procedures involving the preparation and manipulation of materials used as an Expanded Function Dental Assistant in Oregon.
3. Explain the properties and characteristics of acrylics as used in dentures
4. Transfer dental materials knowledge and skills to DA 119 Expanded Functions II.
5. Fabricate a custom tray used in bleaching vital teeth.
6. Adhere to all laboratory policies and safety protocols.
1. Recognize the characteristics and uses of materials used in orthodontic, prosthetics and other specialty procedures.
Dialogue with Industry Professionals during workshop presentations and practice sessions of bleach tray fabrication. Roundtable discussion of office practicum utilizing inquiry and listening skills previously presented in DA 111.