Course Content and Outcome Guide for DA 133 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- DA 133
- Course Title:
- Dental Materials II (Lab)
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionStudents continue to develop skills in the handling and manipulation of dental materials as described in the DA 132 lecture.
Addendum to Course Description
Students must have completed DA 130 and DA 131 with a grade of C or better, or have an instructor or program administrator approval. Concurrent enrollment in DA 132 Required.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Demonstrate the proper handling and safe use of materials used in fabrication and placement of dental restorations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Demonstrate understanding of the proper use and handling of dental materials through the completion of lab projects.
2. Demonstrate compliance with safety procedures at all times.
3. Transfer skills to clinical applications on campus and at OHSU School of Dentistry rotation.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts and Issues
Review of dental material selection, uses and manipulation from DA 131
Steps of an endodontic procedure
Oral surgery instruments
Denture Soft liner
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
1. Demonstrate adherence to laboratory standards and safety protocols.
2. Explain the selection and purpose of, and demonstrate the manipulation of a selected group of restorative materials, cements, bases, liners and varnishes.
3. Demonstrate the fabrication and trimming of study casts.
4. Describe and demonstrate the fabrication and cementation of temporary crowns on a typodont.
5. Perform a root canal procedure on a typodont tooth.
6. Demonstrate the steps involved in suture removal.
7. Demonstrate the steps involved in preparation, placement and removal of a periodontal dressing.
8. Demonstrate the steps involved in preparation and placement of a denture soft line material.
9. Introduction to the preparation and participation in oral surgery procedures.
Outcomes: 1. Demonstrate the proper handling and safe use of materials used in fabrication and placement of dental restorations.Activities: Apply knowledge of angles and measurement during orthodontic model trimming.
Outcomes:1. Demonstrate the proper handling and safe use of materials used in fabrication and placement of dental restorations.Activities: Round Table discussion about experiences in rotations at OHSU. Self Evaluation of lab projects and presentation to instructor of results of results of evaluations.
Human RelationsHours: 9
Outcomes:1. Demonstrate the proper handling and safe use of materials used in fabrication and placement of dental restorations.Activities:Interactions with patients, dental students and other dental professionals during weekly rotations at OHSU School of Dentistry.Students work in teams on lab assignments to include peer evaluation by utilizing concepts and skills previously introduced in DA 131 and DA 111.