Course Content and Outcome Guide for DA 132
- Posted by:
- Josette Beach
- Course Number:
- DA 132
- Course Title:
- Dental Materials II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionContinued study of dental materials to include those used specifically in the processes of crown and bridge construction.
Addendum to Course Description
Students must have successfully completed DA 130 with a C or better, or have department permission to register.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Recognize the characteristics and uses of laboratory materials used in the fabrication and placement of a variety of dental restorations.
2. Understand the uses and limitations of materials used in coronal polishing and other expanded duties procedures.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Recognize and describe characteristics and uses of dental materials in a series of assigned projects
- Complete a comprehensive final exam
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Cements, bases and liners
- Crowns and fixed bridges
- Investment materials
- Casting procedures for inlays and crowns
- The use of ceramics in dentistry
- Endodontic procedures soft denture relines
- New technologies used in dentistry
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS
- Demonstrate adherence to laboratory standards and safety protocols in the laboratory.
- Fabricate a custom tray for use in bleaching procedures and explain the steps in a vital tooth bleaching procedure.
- Transfer dental materials knowledge and skills to DA 119 Expanded Functions I.
- Explain the selection and purpose of, and demonstrate the manipulation of a selected group of cements, bases, liners and varnishes.
- Explain the characteristics, properties and uses of the many types of metallic restorations fabricated in the lab and cemented into the oral cavity.
- Discuss investment materials and describe the processes used during casting procedures.
- Describe the types of ceramics used in dentistry and observe stacking and firing of a porcelain crown in the dental technology lab.
- Describe and demonstrate the fabrications and cementation of temporary crowns on a typodont.
- Discuss the purpose and types of temporary cements and demonstrate the placement of temporary restorative material on a typodont in the laboratory setting.
- Perform a root canal procedure on a typodont tooth.
- Perform a temporary denture reline.