Course Content and Outcome Guide for D 192A
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- D 192A
- Course Title:
- Ballet I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDevelops skills and examines principles in the fundamentals of classical ballet technique. Emphasizes correct alignment, basic barre and center work, traveling steps, and ballet vocabulary. Course may be taken 3 times for credit (D 192A or PE 186A separately or in combination).
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Develop basic skills and kinesthetic awareness in classical ballet technique.
- Identify and apply the principles, technique, and vocabulary of classical ballet.
- Explore and appreciate ballet as an art form.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attendance, participation, and effort.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in beginning ballet technique.
- Written and/or practical evaluation.
- Paper or project on dance.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)Themes, conceptsm Issues:
Fundamental Principles of Ballet Technique:
- Correct alignment
- Turnout of the legs and feet
- Ballet body positions
- Leg and arm positions
- Seven basic movements of ballet
- Ballet vocabulary in French
- Safe and efficient dance techniques
Ballet Class, beginning level:
- Barre work: plies, releves, port de bras, battements, rond de jambe
- Center floor work: body directions, connecting steps
- Petit allegro-jumps
- Grand allegro
- Traveling steps and combinations
- Structure of a ballet class
- Dance class etiquette
Aesthetics and Awareness in Ballet:
- Flow and dynamics of movement
- Rhythmic and spatial awareness
- Aesthetics/line of classical ballet
- Elements of expression and communication in ballet
Demonstrate correct technique and appropriate skills in beginning ballet class exercises and combinations:
- Barre work
- Center floor work
- Allegro-petit and grand
- Connecting steps
- Traveling combinations
Demonstrate improved control, strength, stamina, and flexibility in ballet.
Demonstrate ability to learn, execute, and retain ballet steps and combinations from visual, aural, and kinesthetic cues.
Demonstrate ability to reverse combinations.
Identify and comprehend the fundamental principles and basic vocabulary of classical ballet technique.
Examine and articulate ideas about a dance performance.
Present a project/paper on ballet.