Course Content and Outcome Guide for D 169
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- D 169
- Course Title:
- Musical Theater Dance
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers dance forms and styles used in the musical theater choreography. Covers basic techniques, vocabulary, and dance excerpts from musical theater shows. Course may be taken 3 times for credit. Recommended courses: Two dance technique courses or previous dance training.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Learn and demonstrate steps, combinations, and dances from musical theater shows.
- Develop dance skills and kinesthetic awareness through musical theater dance techniques.
- Develop an awareness and appreciation of musical theater dance, choreographers, and styles.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Identify and demonstrate dances from musical theater shows.
- Observe and analyze a musical theater dance performance.
- Create and present a report on musical theater.
- Attend class regularly with a positive attitude and a strong work ethic
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Fundamental Principles of Dance Technique:
- Correct alignment
- Body, leg, and arm positions
- Dance vocabulary
- Principles of safety in dance movement
The Dance Class:
- Axial movements
- Traveling combinations
- Muscle memory
- Coordination of legs, arms, and body
- Connecting steps in a sequence
- Musical and rhythmic awareness
- Spatial awareness
- Dance class etiquette
Musical Theater Dance Choreography and Styles:
- Musical Theater dance movement and choreography
- Flow and dynamics of movement
- Integration and development of character and story through dance
- Style and expression in musical theater dance
- Musical theater choreographers and prominent shows.
- Development of dance in the musical theater
- Practice and demonstrate musical theater dance steps and choreography with emphasis on the following elements: proper dance techniques, spacing, musicality, expression, dynamics, and movement style.
- Identify dance steps, positions, and combinations visually and aurally.
- Recognize the relationship of musical theater dance to character and story.
- Recognize prominent musical theater choreographers, shows, and styles.
- Examine and discuss musical theater dance performances.
- Write clearly and concisely.
- Research and organize a report on musical theater dance.