Course Content and Outcome Guide for D 121 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- D 121
- Course Title:
- Conditioning for Dance
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExamines somatic practices and conditioning methods as they pertain to dance training. Develops kinesthetic awareness, strength, flexibility, stability and greater efficiency in movement. Focus may vary from term to term. PE 186Z and D 121 are equivalent and only one may be taken for credit. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Experience a relationship of mind, body and spirit.
2. Apply philosophical discussions to everyday situations.
3. Apply principles of self-care and injury prevention to enhance quality of life and dance practice.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Other assessment to include one of the following:
1. Personal practice research and development
2. Research paper
3. Journal entries
4. Written exam to test knowledge of history, philosophy, and/or terminology
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
· Movement specific to somatic practice or conditioning method being studied
· Philosophical discourse
· Discuss transference not only to dance, but to everyday movement and situations
· Basic anatomical references, images, and visualization
· Learn safe practices in dance and other forms of movement
· Relaxation techniques