Course Content and Outcome Guide for COMM 100
- Course Number:
- COMM 100
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Communication
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers complexities of the communication process. Includes insights into the causes and effects of general communication behaviors, involvement in active exploration of basic communication theories and concepts, and opportunities to develop communication strengths. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Use a newly gained understanding of the cause and effect of communication behaviors to begin to reduce miscommunication with others
- Use the insight into filters created through the framework of culture, society, organizations, family, and self in order to make responsible personal choices in many types of relationships
- Explore different areas of communication in order to expand a broad base of skills and communicative tools when interacting with others.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The forms of assessment will be determined by the individual instructor. Assessment strategies may include:
- Qualitative examinations
- Quantitative examinations
- Research papers
- In-class participation
- Oral presentations
- Group work
- Service Learning
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills),
- Communication theory
- Interpersonal Communication
- Active Listening
- Nonverbal Communication
- Group dynamics
- Intercultural Communication
- Critical thinking
- Mass communication
Competencies and Skills:
- Ability to identify concepts within different fields of study in the Speech Communication discipline.
- Ability to identify a range of potentially useful behaviors within a variety of communication settings.
- Ability to choose communication behaviors appropriate to the audience and the situation.
ComputationHours: panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;
Human RelationsHours: mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;},@font-face