- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- CJA 280B
- Course Title:
- CE: Applied Criminal Justice
- Credit Hours:
- 1 TO 6
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Offered to students employed by a public sector criminal justice agency to increase professional skills and knowledge. Prerequisite: Department permission required. See CJA advisor.
Addendum to Course Description
In many of the Criminal Justice professions neither a BA Degree nor an AAS Degree is required. However, many positions require the employee (or the prospective employee) to have completed 90 credits of college coursework as a condition of employment. This course is offered to those people who are not seeking a degree, but are currently volunteering or working in a Criminal Justice Agency and need 1-6 credits for professional development.
Intended Outcomes for the course
The student will:
- State as objectives, in cooperation with the workplace supervisor, skills needed to improve job performance and promote personal growth
- Demonstrate and apply the knowledge and skills gained through the cooperative work experience as related to the above objectives
- Describe orally and in writing how the acquired skills have enhanced his/her ability to perform his/her job more proficiently.
- Reflect on how the work performed in attempting to meet, or meeting, the specific objectives has affected his/her self esteem in terms of his/her sense of proficiency on the job.
Course Activities and Design
This course is designed to maximize learning through cooperative work experience. The student, coordinator/instructor and employer develop a work experience plan that will meet the learning needs of the student. This plan provides a definition of on-the-job learning activities
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment is designed to indicate achievement of the course outcomes. Assessment will be based upon a combination of participation, attendance and supervisory evaluations and conferences.