Course Content and Outcome Guide for CJA 243 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- CJA 243
- Course Title:
- Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers history and causes of narcotic and drug problems, how to identify drug addicts and drug abusers, how to define and classify various types of narcotics and dangerous drugs, including laws and other controls and rehabilitation programs. Prerequisites: CJA 100; WR 121. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This course is designed to emphasize the most important themes and concepts in the field of substance abuse and treatment. The course is designed to give students who plan to have a career in one of the fields of criminal justice a working knowledge of how to handle abusers of psychoactive drugs in critical and emergency situations. The students will also gain an understanding of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) which regulates all licit and illicit psychoactive drugs in the United States. The various sentencing guidelines regarding the CSA will be covered.
Intended Outcomes for the course
(1) Describe the history and classification of narcotics and dangerous drugs.
(2) Describe how heredity and environment affect the use and abuse of psychoactive drugs.
(3) Identify the various classifications of drugs to include the drug generic name, trade names and street names.
(4) Describe the general characteristics of how the various psychoactive drugs physically and psychologically affect an individual including how one becomes addicted, symptoms of withdrawal and addiction treatments.
(5) Understand how law enforcement personnel must safely and properly handle narcotics and dangerous drugs.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Examinations, projects and class participation.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
This course will address topics including, but not limited to the following:
Psychoactive Drugs: History & Classification
Heredity, Environment, & Psychoactive Drugs
Downer (Depressants): Opiates & Sedative-Hypnotics
All Arounders (Psychedelics)
Other Drugs, Other Addictions
Drug Use & Prevention: From Cradle to grave
Mental Health & Drugs