- Course Number:
- CIS 235W
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Web Analytics
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Intended Outcomes for the course
On completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Configure the Apache web server to log user access and referral data.
- Identify user paths through web sites from web server logs.
- Generate web analytic reports using off-the-shelf tools and simple custom programs.
- Modify web pages to enrich the information gathered.
- Optimize navigation and identify potential revenue sources using web analytics.
Course Activities and Design
This course is presented with a combination of lectures and labs. Students will be expected to participate in hands-on exercises, led by the instructor, involving web server configuration, analysis of web server data, and modification of web pages.
Lectures and labs will be augmented with assigned readings, in-class exercises, and online content.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Mastery of the learning outcomes in this course will be assessed using a variety of strategies, including:
- Students will take tests or quizzes to assess knowledge-based outcomes.
- Students will be required to write discussion board postings to assess their understanding of the material.
- Students will be asked to complete a variety of hands-on labs to assess performance skills.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- What data is available for analysis
- What types of analysis does this data support
- How can this analysis be used to improve the user experience
- How can this analysis be used to produce revenue
- IP addresses
- Domain Name Services
- HyperText Transfer Protocol
- Web server configuration
- Web traffic
- Web logs
- Page tagging
- Page views
- Visits, visitors, repeat visitors and unique visitors
- Dwell time
- Advertising models
- Landing pages
- User path analysis
- On-site and off-site analytics
- User lifecycle analytics
- Retention and churn
- Missing analytic input
- Noisy analytic input
- Web log analysis software
- Web analytics services
- Click-through and click-off rates
- Enabling the capture of high-quality user data
- Effective analysis of user data
- Applying analysis to web site optimization
- Identifying potential revenue sources
- Configure a commonly-used web server to track user data
- Run off-the-shelf web analytics software
- Write simple log analysis programs to generate custom reports
- Modify web site navigation to reduce bottlenecks and improve stickiness
- Aggregate page views by content, and use demographic information to create saleable advertising inventory