- Course Number:
- CHN 260
- Course Title:
- Chinese Culture
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionChinese culture through films and music. Increase understanding of Chinese traditional and modern culture and society through analysis of cultural, historical and social issues by mass media and products. Explore concepts such as families, social roles, friendship, social values, morality, philosophies, economics, and more. Course conducted in English. Chinese materials presented in class will be subtitled in English. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Recognize and approach cultural differences with respect and open-mindedness.
2. Think critically with an understanding of ones own cultural filter, using concepts learned when in multi-cultural environment.
3. View Chinese culture with a deepened understanding of its history, ecology, society, politics, and culture.
4. Apply a basic understanding of Chinese culture, social and political issues, perspectives, and forms of expression, as well as own cultures complexities to resolve cultural conflicts.
5. Practice self-appraising examination and evaluation of personal beliefs in comparison to the beliefs of others.
6. Apply cultural understandings learned in class effectively in authentic interactions with native speakers of Chinese.
Course Activities and Design
1. Group and class discussions critical thinking skills
2. Group and individual presentations critical thinking skills and project-based activities
3. Written and oral reports critical thinking skills
4. Class projects critical thinking skills and project-based activities
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Active participation in interactive class activities, including individual, strategies: pair or group activities
2. Individual presentations
3. Contextual written tasks to assess understanding of cultural and social themes in readings and films
4. Multimedia aids to improve listening skills, including short audio clips or films
5. Class discussions to enhance cultural awareness and knowledge
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
4.Influence of historical events
5.Chinese morality, ethics and philosophies
6.Poverty and wealth
7.Modern pop music culture
Skills and competencies:
1.Recognize cultural and humanistic issues through comparisons, contrast, reading and discussions
2.Apply understanding of relevant cultural and social issues in contemporary Chinese society
3.Use basic cultural understandings and recognize cultural values
4.Critical analysis of cultural issues in films
5.Develop empathy, compassion and respect to different cultural groups