Course Content and Outcome Guide for CG 144 Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- CG 144
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Assertiveness
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionApplies assertive communication skills to relationships both in personal and professional environments. Includes an overview of assertive communication and behavior and skill development in the areas of communication and personal conflict resolution. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
1. Continually analyze the effectiveness of ones own assertiveness skills in both personal and professional environments.
2. Employ assertive communication when appropriate.
3. Manage emotional reaction in both personal and professional environments.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Written and/or oral assignments designed to promote integration of class material.
2. Participation in group exercise, role plays, and/or discussions.
3. Quizzes that require applicatin of course material.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Competencies and Skills
1. How thinking impacts emotions
2. Effective listening
4. Understanding of personal rights
5. Discrimination between aggressive, passive, and assertive communication.
6. The use of "I" language
Concepts, Themes, Issues
1. Asertive communication
3. Emotional management
4. Reducing personal conflict
5. Personal rights