Course Content and Outcome Guide for CG 130H
- Course Number:
- CG 130H
- Course Title:
- Intro Today's Careers: Health
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores career opportunities in the health professions. The focus will be on the educational and licensing requirements, professional and ethical responsibilities, physical requirements, workplace environment and career pathways of each profession. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Identify specifics about various health professions such as physical requirements, employment opportunities, wages and length of training.
- Explore career pathways, academic expectations, shared prerequisite courses and alternative program options.
- Apply knowledge to make informed health career decisions.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Comparing and contrasting two professions of interest
2. Interviewing someone in the profession of interest
3. Keeping a journal of key information learned about each profession that the student was not aware of prior to this course
4. Reviewing a professional journal article about a specific health care career or employment issue and summarize the article, describing the implications the issue has on the health care worker or workforce.
5. Completion of a self-assessment survey on what the student wants from a career and comparing their list to what was learned in the course about each health profession.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
¢ Oregon Career Information Systems and other career research tools.
¢ Growth of healthcare industry
¢ Requirements of healthcare occupations
¢ Career pathways
¢ Career information and databases
¢ Professional licenses, certificates, and credentials
¢ Competition for admission into healthcare training programs
¢ Work schedules in healthcare occupations
¢ Direct patient contact or indirect patient contact
¢ Define ones interests and career expectations
¢ Compare ones expectations to careers explored in course
¢ Research wage/salary, training and preparation of selected occupations