Course Content and Outcome Guide for CG 112 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- CG 112
- Course Title:
- Managing Test Anxiety
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides strategies to overcome barriers to effective test taking to improve overall test performance. Test preparation and test anxiety are examined. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
1. Assess attitude and emotional reaction to anticipated tests.
2. Employ strategies to reduce emotional overreactions to tests, and prepare for and take anticipated tests in a timely manner.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Written and/or oral assignments designed to promote integration of course material.
2. Participation in group exercises, role plays, and/or discussions.
3. Quizzes that require integration of class material.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Competencies and Skills
1. Use distributed learning principles to prepare for tests.
2. Know what to do the day before and the day of a test.
3. Identify emotional reactions when anticipating a test.
4. Understand various techniques to manage emotions.
5. Use effective test taking strategies.
6. Identify and emphasize test taking successes.
Themes, Concepts, Issues
1. Test preparation
2. Dedicated study schedule
3. Identify self defeating thoughts
4. Manage emotions
5. Test taking techniques
6. Test taking success
7. Self encouragement