Course Content and Outcome Guide for CG 111B
- Course Number:
- CG 111B
- Course Title:
- Study Skills for College Learning
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides information, techniques, strategies and skills helpful in becoming more efficient in notetaking, textbook reading, and taking exams. Identify preferred learning style and develop skills in scheduling study time and memory strategies.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Identify and apply preferred learning style.
- Develop memory strategies and review tools.
- Use effective reading techniques.
- Apply note-taking strategies.
- Employ a study schedule and strategies to manage procrastination.
- Utilize test-taking strategies.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include individual or group projects or group presentations, case studies, reports, portfolios, papers, quizzes and examinations, such as:
- Demonstrate test-taking techniques.
- Describe SQ3R or preferred reading-study method.
- Produce a personal study schedule.
- Describe a notetaking method.
- Discuss learning styles and identify preferred learning style.
- Describe test-taking strategies.
- Name ways to reduce test anxiety.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Competencies and Skills
The skills and competencies which students will develop by doing assignments and participating in this class are:
- Textbook reading skills.
- Notetaking skills
- Test-taking skills.
- Using a study schedule.
- Reducing test anxiety.
- Effective reading techniques.
Concepts", Themes, Issues
- Concentration, attention, listening, distractions
- Long-term memory; short-term memory
- Reading strategies, e.g., SQ3R
- Notetaking methods
- Testing and types of tests
- Test anxiety
- Study schedule; study environment
- Study groups
- Learning styles