- Course Number:
- CG 102
- Course Title:
- College Survival and Success: Goal Setting
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides information on the role of goal-setting as a means for creating college success. Continues to develop skills for navigating a culturally diverse learning environment and for utilizing college resources and services. Second course in the series (CG101-103). Prerequisite: CG101. Completion of CG 101-102-103 is equivalent to CG 100. Prerequisites: CG 101. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Use concepts of goal setting to achieve academic and personal success.
- Identify personal values and how they relate to goal setting and motivation.
- Understand and employ motivational strategies to achieve academic and personal success
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences to participate fully in college and community.
Course Activities and Design
- Apply a goal setting model and motivational strategies to create short-term & long-term goals with action plans.
- Use student resources to create a year-long academic plan.
- Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences through case studies, simulations, video & discussion, and guest speakers.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Have students identify their levels of confidence in their academic plans and identify resources they will need to remain confident in their plans.
- Assess student goals for specificity, concreteness, and balance between level of challenge and level of achievability.
- Assess students ability to reflect on issues of diversity and cultural differences through use of journals, activities, and discussion.
- Assess students ability to access resources and use them effectively (via a worksheet, quiz, presentation, etc.).
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Academic planning and goal setting
- College calendar
- College catalog
- College course planning guide
- Important dates and deadlines
- Paying for collegeManaging and creating positive relationships in a diverse college environment
- College/campus resources: multicultural center, womens resource center, TRIO, computer labs, math lab, College Success Center, writing lab
- Student services: financial aid, advising, counseling, career resource center, job placement, cooperative education
- College policies
- Motivational strategies
- Power of goal-setting