Course Content and Outcome Guide for CG 100 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- CG 100
- Course Title:
- College Survival and Success
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides information and techniques for time, money and self-management, including motivation, goal setting, and accepting personal responsibility for college success. Includes developing skills for navigating a culturally diverse learning environment and utilizing college resources and services. Completion of CG 100 is equivalent to CG 101-102-103. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
1. Use the concepts of accepting personal responsibility and interdependent behaviors to achieve academic and personal goals.
2. Apply effective motivational strategies and goal setting tools to academic and personal life.
3. Communicate and participate responsibly in order to navigate college systems
4. Make informed choices regarding time, money, and self-management.
5. Use college resources and policies to determine and implement academic decisions.
6. Incorporate awareness of diversity and cultural differences to participate fully in college and community.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include individual or group projects or group presentations, case studies, reports, portfolios, papers, quizzes and examinations, such as:
1. Demonstrate appropriate use of campus resources.
2. Create a sample academic plan.
3. Describe methods of goal setting.
4. Identify three motivational strategies.
5. Identify effective time management techniques.
6. Access campus online information.
7. Report on effective and respectful communication with instructors and students.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, and Issues
College course planning guide
Classroom behavior and etiquette
Importance of course syllabus
Student rights and responsibilities
Distance learning, i.e. Web CT
Online services, i.e. MyPCC, degree audit, Panther tracks
PCC Business accounts, 50/50 Plan, drop deadlines
College/campus resources: multicultural center, womens resource center, TRIO, computer labs, math lab, College Success Center, writing lab
Student services: financial aid, advising, counseling, career resource center, job placement, cooperative education
Power of goal-setting
Time management techniques, balancing work, school, and life responsibilities
Coping with transition
Estimated college costs and budgets