- Course Number:
- CAS 280W
- Course Title:
- Cooperative Education: Web Site Development
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides field experience for students related to web site development. Prerequisites: Instructor permission required. Recommended: Satisfactory progress through two terms of website classes or equivalent experience. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
The purpose of Cooperative Education is to help the student develop career objectives by linking their Portland Community College course work with out-of-classroom learning experiences related to web site development in private and/or public sector organizations. The student may be paid depending upon the policies of the employer. This course is not intended to be a job placement class.
The field experience offered by CAS 280W takes place in an on-the-job learning environment on or off campus. Arrangements are made with the employer regarding the student's job description and experiences the student is to have while on the job.
The student may enroll for 1, 2, 3, or 4 credits. The ratio of hours to credits will be determined by the current policies of the college and the Cooperative Education office.
This course may be transferable to a four year institution and is applicable toward a Web Site Development Certificate.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Evaluate their strengths as compared to the employer's needs.
- Apply job acquisition techniques and negotiate a training package.
- Promote linkages between the employer, student, and coordinator/instructor.
- Participate in the preparation of a written contract which details expected work performance, anticipated time commitments, and maintenance of student attendance records.
- Maintain a good work relationship by performing duties outlined in the written contract, adhering to agreed-upon time commitments, and keeping employer informed of progress on assigned projects.
- Participate in a meeting with an employer and/or coordinator/instructor to discuss student progress.
Course Activities and Design
The student, coordinator/instructor, and employer develop a work experience plan which will meet the learning needs of the student. This plan provides a definition of on-the-job learning activities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A Pass/No Pass grade will be issued for this class. Evaluation procedures will be discussed during preliminary meetings between the student, coordinator/instructor and employer. At least one site visit a term is done by the coordinator and/or instructor.