Course Content and Outcome Guide for CAS 232
- Posted by:
- Michael Passalacqua
- Course Number:
- CAS 232
- Course Title:
- Desktop Publishing: InDesign
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces Adobe InDesign, a desktop publishing software, to design and create effective publications such as announcements, fliers, advertisements, and reports. Covers the processes to create, import, and manipulate text and/or graphics through use of software features. Recommended: Placement into RD 115 and WR 115 and prior knowledge and use of Windows technology and CAS 216. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
1. Use Adobe InDesign to create personal and/or business publications following current professional and/or industry standards.
2. Use critical thinking skills to independently design and create publications.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Production tests
- Objective tests
- Projects with original work
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Desktop publishing terminology
- Creating, importing, and manipulating graphics
- Creating and manipulating text
- Formatting paragraphs, tables, and lists
- Enhancing documents through special effects
- Creating and using templates
- Using color effectively
- Import text from other software
- Create, edit, and print long documents including supporting pages
- Effective design and layout rules used in publication industry
- Scanning and importing graphics
- Format page layout utilizing master pages tool
- Learn basics of desktop publishing software.
- Import graphics.
- Move, size, and crop graphics appropriately.
- Create and import text.
- Apply attributes of size and style to text to enhance documents.
- Use automatic features of software efficiently.
- Demonstrate proper file management techniques.
- Demonstrate safe handling and use of hardware and software.
- Create supporting pages for multi-page documents, such as index or table of contents.
- Use color appropriately and effectively.
- Create and use template documents.
- Prepare & package documents for professional printing or exporting.