Course Content and Outcome Guide for CAS 231 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- CAS 231
- Course Title:
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces Microsoft Publisher to design and create effective publications that combine text graphics, illustrations, and/or photographs such as announcements, fliers, advertisements, and reports. Covers the processes to create, import, and manipulate text, graphics, and/or templates through program tools and features. Recommended: Placement into RD 115 and WR 115; prior knowledge and use of Windows technology. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
1. Use Microsoft Publisher to create personal and/or business publications following current professional and/or industry standards.
2. Use critical thinking skills to independently design and create publications.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A letter grade will be issued for this course. Assessment tasks may include:
- Production tests
- Objective tests
- Projects with original work
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Desktop publishing terminology and basic design principles
- Creating, editing, and using templates to produce publications
- Creating, importing, and manipulating graphics
- Creating and manipulating text
- Formatting paragraphs, tables, and lists
- Enhancing documents through special effects
- Using color effectively
- Importing and manipulating text and graphics from other sources
- Linking Publisher publications with other software applications
- Formatting documents using master pages
May also include:
- Effective design and layout rules used in publication industry
- Create Web pages from a Publisher publication
- Create, edit, and print long publications including supporting pages
- Learn basics of desktop publishing software.
- Use and edit templates to create publications.
- Import graphics.
- Move, size, and crop graphics appropriately.
- Create and import text.
- Apply attributes of size and style to text to enhance documents.
- Use automatic features of software efficiently.
- Use color appropriately and effectively.
- Demonstrate proper file management techniques.
- Demonstrate safe handling and use of hardware and software.
- Link Publisher publications with other software applications.
- Insert and format hyperlinks
- Use merge features to produce business documents
May also include:
- Create Web pages from a Publisher publication.
- Create supporting pages for multi-page publications, such as index or table of contents.