Course Content and Outcome Guide for CAS 217
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- CAS 217
- Course Title:
- Intermediate Word
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces intermediate and advanced features of Microsoft Word to enhance documents through special formatting features such as graphic lines and images, Word Art, and clipart; work with headers and footers in multi-page documents; create and format tables; use advanced merge; create documents with newspaper columns; and create and use fill-in forms. Recommended: Placement into RD 115 and WR 115. Prerequisite: CAS 216 or instructor permission. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This course is presented in a hands-on lecture/lab format. Other methods such as instructional work sheets, videotapes, demonstrations, or one-on-one instruction may be used. Out-of-class preparation will be required.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students will be able to:
A. Use advanced features of the software to produce documents following current professional and/or industry standards.
B. Efficiently create, edit, print and manage files and documents.
C. Use critical thinking skills to independently plan and produce documents.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A letter grade will be issued for this course. Assessment tasks may include:
- Production tests on arranged and unarranged material
- Projects that include original work
- Composition of personal and business documents
- Objective tests
- Skill assessment software
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Graphics and other text enhancements such as borders, WordArt and text boxes
- Reports with footnotes/endnotes
- Headers and footers
- Advanced merge
- User created templates including forms
- Newspaper columns
May also include:
- Integrate other software applications
- Sorting and formulas
- Supporting pages of reports (such as table of contents and index)
- Charts and graphs
- Master documents
- Shared documents
- Internet use and preparation
- Review basic features of word processing software
- Use file management techniques to properly save, rename, and/or delete files
- Create and format tables
- Enhance documents using graphic lines and images
- Create headers and footers including different headers and footers within the same document
- Use advanced mail merge procedures such as adding/deleting files, query options, and fill-in fields
- Create and use a form template
- Create documents using newspaper columns
- Create new and use existing styles to format documents
- Use styles to create supporting pages for documents (table of contents, index)
- Integrate other software into documents (Excel)
- Apply safety techniques of relaxation and exercise to prevent computer-related disabilities such as carpal tunnel and eyestrain.
- Demonstrate safe handling of software and hardware.