Course Content and Outcome Guide for CAS 216A
- Course Number:
- CAS 216A
- Course Title:
- Beginning Word
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the basics of Microsoft Word to create, edit, and print basic documents such as letters and memos and become familiar with the program's writing tools. Recommended: Placement into RD 115 and WR 115; keyboarding 25 words per minute. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This course is presented in a lecture/lab format. Other methods such as instructional worksheets, videotapes, demonstrations, or one-on-one instructions may be used. Out-of-class preparation will be required.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
1. Use Microsoft Word to create personal and/or business documents following current professional and/or industry standards.
2. Communicate in a business setting using word processing vocabulary
Outcome Assessment Strategies
This is a Pass/No Pass course with a letter grade option. Students may change to the letter grade option through MyPCC. Students must choose before the completion of 80% of the class.
A grade will be issued based on:
- Production tests on arranged and unarranged material.
- Projects that include original work.
- Composition of personal and business documents.
- Objective test.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Menus, toolbars, icons, ribbons
- File Management
- Key, save, retrieve, and print documents.
- Edit previously keyed documents.
- Format personal and business documents correctly.
- Use File Management techniques.
- Use communication skills of spelling, punctuation, and grammar in business documents.
- Use spelling and grammar check/thesaurus software features.
- Apply safety techniques of relaxation and exercise to prevent computer-related disabilities such as carpal tunnel and eyestrain.
- Demonstrate safe handling of hardware and software.
May also include:
- Graphics (Clip Art, WordArt, basic shapes)