Course Content and Outcome Guide for CAS 214
- Course Number:
- CAS 214
- Course Title:
- Beginning ColdFusion/CFML
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces dynamic websites that run on ColdFusion or one of its Open Source competitors. Explores CFML, a simplified tag-based coding language which dramatically reduces development time. Covers server-side techniques such as responding to data submitted from forms, passing information between web pages, retrieving information from a database, managing sessions, and displaying text/images on the screen in response to user requests. Includes creation of dynamic E-Commerce or business websites using CFML. Recommended: CAS 206, CAS 213, CAS 215, and CIS 122 or equivalent; placement into RD 115 and WR 115. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
1. Use ColdFusion/CFML to create a dynamic ECommerce or business website following current professional and/or industry standards.
2. Create dynamic websites that interact with web server databases.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Grading of this class will be based on completion of project(s) developed individually or as part of a team.
Assessments may include:
- Completion of a multi-page web site implementing a variety of ColdFusion techniques
- Tests or quizzes
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Thorough coverage of basic ColdFusion techniques
Students will publish, test and debug an E-Commerce or business web site using ColdFusion. A variety of techniques will be demonstrated which may include some or all of the following:
- Responding to data submitted from a form
- Passing information between web pages
- Displaying text/images on the screen in response to user requests
- Retrieving, inserting or editing data in a database, using a web page
- Validating form entries
- Basic introduction to server-side concepts and the ColdFusion Application Framework