Course Content and Outcome Guide for CAS 170A Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- CAS 170A
- Course Title:
- Beginning Excel
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the basic features of Microsoft Excel. Includes moving around the spreadsheet, entering data, formatting, and printing. Stresses a working knowledge of spreadsheet vocabulary. Recommended: Placement into RD 115 and WR 115. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
1. Use Microsoft Excel to create personal and/or business spreadsheets following current professional and/or industry standards.
2. Communicate in a business setting using spreadsheet vocabulary.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
This is a Pass/No Pass course with a letter grade option. Students may change to the letter grade option through MyPCC. Students must choose before the completion of 80% of the class.
A grade will be issued based on:
- performance tests
- may include objective test, scored assignments, or projects
- may include the use of skill assessment software
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Communicate effectively using appropriate spreadsheet vocabulary.
- Proofread for accuracy in the entry of data and creation of formulas.
- Access the document for accuracy, readability, and appearance.
- Develop efficiency with specific sets of skills through repetitive reinforcement.
- Building basic worksheets by entering text, numbers, and formulas.
- Generating pie and column charts by using the chart wizard.
- Developing skills in formatting, saving, and printing accurate, readable worksheets.
May also include:
- Payment function
- IF statements