Course Content and Outcome Guide for CAS 137
- Course Number:
- CAS 137
- Course Title:
- Basic Web Design Skills/Adobe
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the basic features of Adobe Creative Cloud software including Bridge, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Fireworks, and Acrobat. Includes using the software to edit photos, create basic websites, design web graphics, and organize web projects. Recommended: CAS 133 or equivalent file management and word processing experience; placement into RD 115 and WR 115. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
1. Recognize when to use each of the Adobe Creative Cloud programs to create standards-based web graphics and web pages.
2. Use web authoring software to create a simple, multi-page website.
3. Use basic image editing techniques to design and perfect images.
4. Pursue future courses specializing in one or more of the programs introduced in the course.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may include:
- Completion of assigned projects, including a simple, multi-page website
- Tests or quizzes
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
A. Adobe Creative Cloud Interface
1. Overview of panels and Adobe workspace
2. Understand the Adobe workflow
B. Adobe Bridge
1. Organize asset files using folders, favorites, keywords, and metadata
2. Work efficiently through the use of automation tools such as batch processing.
C. Adobe Dreamweaver
1. Work with the Dreamweaver workspace
2. Work with existing web pages
3. Plan a website (site setup, page properties, etc)
4. Working with text and links
5. Adding images to the site
D. Adobe Illustrator
1. Use the shape tools
2. Use the drawing tools
3. Work with color
E. Adobe Fireworks
1. Work with existing objects (vector and bitmap)
2. Create basic shapes and text
G. Adobe Photoshop
1. Crop, rotate, and resize photos
2. Apply filters and adjustments to photos
3. Use selection tools
4. Save photos for the web