Course Content and Outcome Guide for CAS 123
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- CAS 123
- Course Title:
- Production Keyboarding
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDevelops rapid keyboarding and accurate proofreading of business letters, memos, reports, and tables. Improves and increases speed and accuracy of keyboarding skills. Recommended: Placement into RD 115 and WR 115 or higher, OS 220, and keying 45 wpm by touch. Prerequisite: CAS 216 or instructor permission. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
1. Recognize when to use each of the Microsoft Office programs to create professional business documents.
2. Use Microsoft Office programs to create personal and/or business documents following current professional and/or industry standards.
3. Pursue future courses specializing in one or more of the programs.
4. Apply skills and concepts for basic use of computer hardware, software, networks, and the Internet in the workplace and in future coursework as identified by the internationally accepted Internet and Computing Core (IC3) standards.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A letter grade will be issued for this course. Assessment tasks include:
- Production tests on business documents
- Must also include at least one other assessment, such as:
5-minute timed writings at a speed of 45 wpm with no more than 5 errors ("C" level)
Graded daily assignment reviews
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Business letters (various styles)
- Electronic file management
- Production timings
May also include:
- Special features of letters/envelopes
- Documents with graphic elements
- Integrated projects
- Legal forms
- Properly format common business documents that meet mailability standards:
- Use special features of available equipment and software
- Develop basic communication skills using the keyboard
- Proofread documents for accuracy
- Increase speed and accuracy on timed writings