Course Content and Outcome Guide for CAS 121A Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- CAS 121A
- Course Title:
- Beginning Keyboarding
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the alphabetic portion of computer keyboard by touch. Develops and improves basic keyboarding techniques. Recommended: Placement into RD 90 and WR 90 or above. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
1. Keyboard by touch the alphabetic portion of the computer keyboard following current professional and/or industry standards.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
This is a Pass/No Pass course with a letter grade option. Students may change to the letter grade option through MyPCC. Students must choose before the completion of 80% of the class.
A grade will be issued based on:
- Visual technique checks
- Eyes on copy
- Correct fingering
- Correct posture
- Timed writings with a minimum speed of 15 words per minute with a maximum of 5 errors
- May also include other assessment tasks.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Understand the importance of touch keyboarding
- Develop correct keyboarding techniques
- Touch keyboarding of alphabetic keys at minimum speed and accuracy levels.
- Touch keyboarding of some of the auxiliary parts of the keyboard.
- Apply correct keyboarding techniques and safety techniques of relaxation and exercise to prevent computer-related disabilities such as carpal tunnel and eyestrain.