- Course Number:
- CAS 109
- Course Title:
- Beginning PowerPoint
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the basic features of Microsoft PowerPoint, producing multimedia slideshows for presentations to be delivered on a projection system, personal computer, or automated to run independently on a kiosk. Explores informational, educational, business, and personal presentations. Includes animations, transitions, and designs. Recommended: Placement into RD 115 and WR 115. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
1. Use Microsoft PowerPoint to create personal and/or business on-screen presentations following current professional and/or industry standards.
2. Use critical thinking skills to independently design and create on-screen presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
A Pass/No Pass grade will be issued based upon:
- Completion of all assigned units.
- Completion of a final presentation slideshow.
- May include objective tests.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Presentation vocabulary
- Audience considerations
- Create multiple slide presentations, re-arrange and manipulate multiple slides
- Views such as normal, slide master, outline, slide sorter, and slide show
- Layouts and placeholders
- Design issues and best practices
- Bullets and fonts
- Animations and transitions
- Assess the presentation for accuracy, readability, appearance, and consistency
- Insert and manipulate clip art, other pictures and sounds
- Spell check and proofreading
- Handouts and notes
- Audience identification and feedback
- Other related topics