Course Content and Outcome Guide for CAS 103
- Course Number:
- CAS 103
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Windows
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the Microsoft Windows operating system on Personal Computers. Includes file management, basic word processing, using the mouse with Windows, other Accessories, and some basic features of the Control Panel and System Tools. Recommended: Placement into RD 115 and WR 115. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
1. Use file management skills to organize and maintain files on a computer.
2. Use a Windows-based operating system to perform basic computer tasks.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
This is a Pass/No Pass course with a letter grade option. Students may change to the letter grade option through MyPCC. Students must choose before the completion of 80% of the class.
A grade will be issued based on:
- Completion of all assigned units.
- Completion of a File Management Performance Test.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts, Issues
- Computer and Operating System Terminology
- Mouse Skills
- File Management
- Using a Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- File management, including search, sort, copy, move, delete, rename, and create files and folders
- File management hierarchy and use of Computer function
- File attributes, including file names, extensions, icons, size in bytes, date created and modified, and location
- Save and Save As
- Using a mouse
- Help features
- Accessories programs, such as Notepad, WordPad, and Paint
- Control Panel items, such as Personalization, System, and Windows Firewall
- System Tools, such as Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter
- Other related topics