Course Content and Outcome Guide for BMZA 280B
- Course Number:
- BMZA 280B
- Course Title:
- Cooperative Education: Zoological Specialty
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides an opportunity to apply classroom learning to hands-on specialty work experience matching specific learning objectives at a department-approved worksite related to animal management, supervised by professionals on site and by program instructor(s). Department permission required. Prerequisites: BMZA 280A.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
Undergo continuous improvement of personal and professional competence through the real-life application of specialized techniques, procedures and skills matching the specialty area selected by the student used in zoological management.
Course Activities and Design
A cooperative education experience for the student under direct supervision of the work supervisor at the approved facility, and field site supervision of the Biology and Management of Zoo Animals co-op ed course faculty member.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Identify learning objectives and related activities at the beginning of the placement, in collaboration with the specific worksite supervisor and the Biology and Management of Zoo Animals co-op ed course faculty member.
- Complete the agreed upon hours and engage in the identified activities.
- Follow PCC policies regarding Academic Integrity.
- Complete all required written assignments and required paperwork on time.
- Participate in an end-of-term evaluation process
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, Concepts & Issues
- Working in a team environment to apply the concepts and skills learned through the Biology and Management of Zoo Animals program in a worksite setting.
- Along with the new information gained at current work sites, the student will work to apply the knowledge gained in the Biology and Management of Zoo Animals program and at previous Co-Op Ed sites to further their understanding of the field.
- Identify areas for skill development
- Identify areas for improvement of career relevant attitudes and practices
- Enhance competence in identified areas
- Broaden or deepen knowledge of the career field through hands-on experience
- Reflect on personal strengths and challenges with respect to workplace
- Understand and work within the organizational structure of the work site
- Professional attitude and behavior
- Personal growth
- Reflect on learning process
- Organize information
- Make decisions