Course Content and Outcome Guide for BMZA 255
- Course Number:
- BMZA 255
- Course Title:
- Wildlife Education Management
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces public relations issues and environmental and wildlife interpretative techniques. Provides an opportunity for skill development in the areas of wildlife interpretation and development of educational materials and programming for specific target audiences. Department permission required. Prerequisites: COMM 111 or SP 111.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Communicate effectively with zoo visitors and through outreach programs.
- Design and carry out interpretive programming for animal facilities.
- Design basic educational materials for animal facilities
Course Activities and Design
Three hours of lecture primarily designed to train students to qualify for examination as Certified Interpretive Guides, and 3 hours of laboratory per week, to include practical experience at the Oregon Zoo or other off-site facilities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participate in and contribute to all class and team discussions and activities.
- Complete homework assignments and projects.
- Write all scheduled examinations and quizzes.
- Develop and present assigned educational outreach presentation, programming, and materials for off-site facilities.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Techniques used in public relations and environmental education, and wildlife interpretation.
- Appropriate development of educational materials and programming.
- Planning, implementation, and evaluation of on-site or outreach environmental education programs.
- Variety of techniques and types of wildlife interpretation programs for various target audiences.
- Development of written educational materials for wildlife education and presentation of these to the public through modern media.
- Clear, effective communication orally and in writing.
- Development and implementation of environmental and/or wildlife education programming and materials.